The Amazing Spider-Man 2



I agree with the critics on this one. By far the worst of all the Spider-Man films, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (directed again by Marc Webb) was very disappointing. I knew there would be no return for Martin Sheen, but I did expect another thoughtful entry in the Spider-Man saga. Not this time. The promising backstory about Peter’s father, which begins the film, was completely wasted. 

I won’t waste my time by describing the silly plot revolving around Electro and Harry Osburn (Peter’s former best friend). Silliness abounds in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and the silliness of Peter Parker himself grated on me all film long. I don’t fault Andrew Garfield for this (though Tobey Maguire did a better job). The only fun in the film was watching the young actors (Garfield and Emma Stone) argue. The obvious chemistry between them (they are a real-life couple) certainly helps.

Another thing that grated on me all film long was the obvious fact that the film was made to be a 3D thrill-ride. I didn’t watch it in 3D, but the 3D colours and special effects made the film ugly and barely endurable. None of the action worked for me. Neither did the film’s score. Nor did the ‘villains’. I don’t even know who the real villains were supposed to be - Electro and the Green Goblin felt more like victims than villains - but a strength of former Spider-Man films was forgotten this time around. 

One thing that did work for me was the surprise ending (or almost-ending; a ridiculous anticlimactic ending was tacked on after it). I was definitely not expecting it. Unfortunately, it was much too little too late. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 gets **+. My mug is down. 

Comments

Popular Posts